Wednesday, May 21, 2014

It's been awhile.

When I started this blog, I had no idea what to write about. After all, there's a multitude of ridiculous and inspiring crap on the Internet right? Right. So I started writing about things while going through the alphabet. I only made it to "L" before giving up. Why did I do that? I actually really enjoyed writing these blog posts, even if no one else reads them. I like to put my thoughts down and get them in order. So, in an attempt to ease my mind, I'm going to start again, and be a blog writing girl once more.

Let's start with this: I'm all graduated! That's right. This girl worked extremely hard and managed to keep a 4.0 and graduate from college with a Master of Arts. COOL!

(Here I am, reluctantly letting my mother take a picture of me in my cap and gown before the ceremony.)

It's really funny. Imagining myself graduating with a master's degree was not something that I used to think about. In fact, I didn't even want to continue with my education. My adviser (bless her) told me that it would be a great opportunity for me. I did it. In a year and a half. Not too shabby. 

It's amazing how accomplished I felt...for a day. I felt like my life was going somewhere. I've identified myself with school for so long that it's strange to live a life without it. I have gone to school year round for the past 5 years. To go from that to having no school was (and is still) a huge adjustment for me. 

So what do I fill my time with now that I have no homework, no finals, no papers, no tests? I currently fill it with job (career) searching, family time, and watching new (and old) TV shows. Oh, and I read a lot of books now. I've read at least 1-2 books per week for the past month. I want to keep filling my head with knowledge, and I guess books are a good way to do that. Maybe I should become a book blog. Blog about my adventures with struggles to read classics (I get bored a lot) and my true love with books (young adult fiction and biographies). That's a thought. I will consider that. 

Back to the subject at hand - graduating. And feeling accomplished. And then feeling slightly worthless, like your degree has no meaning without experience. As kids, it is drilled into our brains that we need a college education to get a good job. If you don't have a college education, you're going to work a minimum wage job for the rest of your life. I want a career. I want something that makes me happy. I wish I knew what that type of job was. 

I see so many people with thousands of dollars in student loan debt who cannot find jobs. I'm so grateful that I have a job, that I'm not destitute. It's unfortunate that I feel like I'm on a time crunch because of student loan payback and how it starts 6 months after graduation. I feel like that is a lot of pressure on people who have just graduated, and have little experience. People with my degree are expected to make $60k or more in their first year on the job after graduation. To that I say...YEAH RIGHT! Funny how the world works, huh?

Sometimes, I think I went to school for the wrong thing. I also sometimes believe that I should have taken a year off to 'find myself' like some people do. Or that I would have worked harder to do a study abroad. I have a lot of 'what ifs' and 'wish I would haves' regarding schooling in general. I do an awful lot of thinking about things like that.

But you know what? It's not good to have regrets and continually wish you would have done things differently. Time to grow up and be an adult.

Until next time kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment